16 Nov Blinds and Child Safety
Shutterup Blinds and Shutters are fully committed to supplying and installing child safe blinds. Blinds that come with looped cords and chains can be dangerous to your children causing injury and even strangulation.
All Shutterup Blinds are 100% compliant with Australian Child Safety Standards.
Our expert installers ensure all Blinds have warning Labels and importantly correctly fitted with safety devices and are compliant with the Australian Child Safety Standards, leaving you reassured your blinds have been completed and installed correctly by the professionals.
Every year we hear the tragic news of a young child loose their life through strangulation due to unsafe blind chains and cords. This can be avoided as its absolutely preventable by following some simply tips and ensuring your blind cords and chains are secured with a cleat. (also known as a tie down clips) Here at Shutterup, every corded Blind is installed with cleats/tie downs.
Helpful Tips on Keeping Your Home Safe – with corded Blinds
As the owners of Shutterup, we too have young children and take Blind cord safety seriously and hold the safety close to our hearts as the danger is easily preventable. We encourage everyone to take 5 minutes to follow the below safety tips & reduce & eliminate all strangulation tragedies by blind cords.
If you have pre-existing blinds installed and unsure if your blinds are safe and meet the Australian Child Safety Standards you can simply visit this website: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/standards/blinds-curtains-and-window-fittings and find more information. Or you can call us on 1300 88 36 37. We are happy to assist where we can as we take child safety seriously.
Handy Tips –
- Go through every room in your home and check for any blinds or curtains with long cords that are either loose or looped. Remember, this includes any cords that are within children’s reach at floor level or near furniture they can climb on.
- Do not put children’s cots, beds, highchairs or playpens near a window where children can reach the blind or curtain cords. The cords can get around children’s necks and strangle them while they are playing or sleeping.
- Do not place sofas, chairs, tables, shelves or bookcases near windows with corded blinds or curtains. Young children often like to climb onto furniture to look out the window. If they can reach the cords, they may quickly become entangled in them, lose their footing and suffer strangulation or serious injuries.
- Make sure blind and curtain cords are not hanging anywhere within children’s reach. Loose cords can easily wrap around and strangle children who are jumping, playing or climbing nearby.
- Always supervise children in any rooms with reachable blind or curtain cords. Accidental strangulation can happen very quickly, so never leave children alone in these rooms, even for a short while.
This page is dedicated to the children who have tragically lost their life to cord strangulation. May we unite in reducing and preventing this tragedy.